(October 4, 2013) As a result of the ongoing government shutdown, please make note of the below captioned list of government managed benefits and their possible impact on Mail Handlers. We will continue to monitor the impact of this action on federal agencies. If the shutdown is prolonged, additional information will be compiled, updated, and distributed as warranted.
Impact of Federal Government Shutdown on Mail Handlers
- Health Insurance (FEHB) – No impact expected, although new enrollments or changes in coverage, for example because of a Qualifying Life Event, may be delayed at OPM.
- Retirement (CSRS or FERS) – Retirement Services at the Office of Personnel Management is funded by the Trust Fund, not by annual appropriations, so these employees will still be working normal hours during the government shutdown.
- Life Insurance (FEGLI) – No impact expected.
- Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) – No impact expected.
- Workers’ Compensation (OWCP) – Little impact expected, as most employees at the Office of Workers’ Compensation Program continue working during shutdown.
- National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) – The Board has granted an extension of time to file or serve any document for which the grant of an extension is permitted by law, such that for each day on which the offices are closed, one day shall be added to the time for filing or service of the document. This extension, however, may not apply to the 6-month period for the filing of charges, 29 U.S.C. 160(b), so it would be prudent to file any charge during the shutdown by faxing a copy of the charge to the appropriate Regional Office. Moreover, it is the responsibility of the party filing a charge to serve a copy of the charge upon the party against whom the charge is made.
- Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) – all operations have ceased during the government shutdown. All deadlines are automatically extended by the number of days the government is shut down, including the usual 30-day deadline for filing initial appeals. All hearings are postponed, and the AJ will reschedule upon reopening.